Advanced Diagnosis and Treatment
NYU Winthrop Hospital’s acclaimed Urology Center on Long Island, NY provides the most advanced and innovative treatment and therapy for men, women and children with benign and malignant disorders of the urinary tract.
The center’s prominent team of urology specialists performs at the leading edge of modern urology breakthroughs and is actively involved in innovative clinical research and promising, new treatment modalities. Consequently, NYU Winthrop patients are often among the first to experience the very latest emerging treatment and therapy for urinary tract problems.
The Region’s Top Urology Specialists
In their latest definitive report on the nation’s “Best Hospitals,” US News and World Report magazine ranks NYU Winthrop Hospital’s Urology Center among the best in New York State and the NYC metro area.
Advanced Urology Diagnosis
NYU Winthrop’s Urology Center offers the most innovative diagnostic technology available to help rule out or diagnose various conditions. These diagnostic tools include:
- CT Scans – CT scans take a series of x-rays from different angles and use computer processing to create detailed cross-sectional images of the body.
- MRI – Also called magnetic resonance imaging, an MRI scan uses strong magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of the inside of the body.
- Cystoscopy – To examine the inside the bladder, the urologist inserts a thin, lighted instrument (cystoscope) into the urethra and further into the bladder.
Advanced Urology Treatment
Urology treatment occasionally involves surgery and surgical therapy. And when it does, NYU Winthrop’s Urologists rely on a veritable arsenal of the most advanced, cutting-edge treatment and therapy technology for superior patient outcomes.
- CyberKnife® – Utilizing targeted radiation beams rather than surgery to treat malignant and benign tumors, CyberKnife successfully treats cancers of the prostate gland, breast, brain and lungs.
NYU Winthrop’s CyberKnife Center has provided this innovative technology for more than ten years and is currently the number one site in the United States in the treatment of prostate cancer.
- UroLift System® – Cleared by the FDA in 2013, UroLift is the first permanent implant to treat an enlarged prostate in men 50 and older. This minimally invasive approach avoids cutting, heating or removal of prostate tissue. The first in-office UroLift on LI under local anesthesia was performed in 2017 at NYU Winthrop and, today, more than 100 procedures have been completed.
- Cryosurgery – Extreme cold is used to destroy abnormal or diseased tissue. This minimally invasive treatment for kidney and prostate cancers targets small areas, resulting in minimal blood loss and fewer complications.
- Endourology – This minimally invasive therapy for treating kidney stones uses tiny instruments to extract fragmented stones through the urethra, bladder and ureter.
- Genitourinary Surgery – This surgery is performed on the male and female urinary tract, the male reproductive system and the female pelvic floor to treat conditions ranging from malignancies to male infertility.
- Minimally Invasive Implant Surgery – A prosthesis is implanted directly inside the penis and scrotum to allow a man to achieve an erection.
- Green Light Laser Surgery – A state-of-the-art green light laser is used as a urology treatment for an enlarged prostate gland.
- Laparoscopic Surgery – This minimally invasive urology treatment involves the insertion of a tiny video camera and several thin instruments into small incisions in the abdomen, allowing the surgeon to operate.
- Lithotripsy – This urology therapy uses shock waves to break up kidney stones.
- Prostatectomy – A prostatectomy is an operation to remove the prostate gland and some of the tissue around it. It is a surgical treatment for prostate cancer.
- Reconstructive Urologic Surgery – Complex reconstructive surgery on the kidney, ureter, bladder, urethra and male genitals can often require the expertise of a team of urological, colorectal and plastic surgeons.
- Robotic Surgery - Long Island’s first daVinci Si HD Surgical System is a state-of-the-science surgical robot that integrates 3-D high definition (HD) endoscopy and robotic technology to virtually extend the surgeon’s eyes and hands into the surgical field.
- Hyperbaric Medicine – Hyperbaric oxygen therapy exposes patients to 100% oxygen at a higher pressure than normal in order to speed the healing of wounds from the inside out.
- Percutaneous Renal Cryotherapy – This therapy involves inserting a probe through the skin to kill renal cancer cells in the kidney by freezing them.
- Urological Oncology – NYU Winthrop’s Urology Department offers comprehensive care for cancer patients integrating state-of-the-art modalities with best practices by a team of experts in urology and cancer. The clinicians provide screening and diagnostic services, as well as an array of advanced treatment options.
When radiation or surgery is not needed for a patient’s condition, NYU Winthrop’s team of prominent urologists can combine integrative and alternative medicine. Holistic Urology is used to focus on the entire body, not just the prostate, kidney or bladder. A variety of methods are used to incorporate dietary adjustments, vitamin supplements, mind body therapy and relaxation techniques to address a patient’s physical and mental concerns.