The Asthma Center
The Asthma Center at NYU Winthrop Hospital on Long Island, NY, specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients suffering from asthma. Once diagnosis is confirmed, our asthma doctors design an effective, individualized treatment plan for each patient. An important part of asthma treatment is teaching patients how to manage their condition in a consistent way that improves their quality of life.
Diagnostic testing is provided in NYU Winthrop's state-of-the-art Pulmonary Function Laboratories where inpatients and outpatients undergo a complete range of pulmonary evaluations, including exercise testing. At the Asthma Center, ongoing clinical research trials bring our patients promising new treatments for asthma and other conditions affecting the lungs. Focusing on clinical, educational and research missions, we aim to improve quality of life for children and adults suffering from asthma.
Services Offered at the Asthma Center
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program – The Asthma Center offers an intensive eight-week program, during which our highly trained asthma doctors and support staff guide patients through a monitored exercise regimen to gradually improve endurance. We also provide asthma education and psychosocial support to promote a return to a healthier, more active lifestyle.
- Adult & Pediatric Pulmonary Function Testing – Pulmonary function testing is the gold standard for the diagnosis and management of asthma.
- Adult Methacholine Challenge Testing – This test is used to determine the responsiveness and irritability of patients’ airways, as well as to assess the severity of any existing asthma.
- Adult & Pediatric Allergy Evaluations & Testing – Testing for allergies may consist of skin or blood tests to determine which substances trigger an allergic response in each individual.
- Clinical Consultations in Pulmonary, Pediatric Pulmonary, and Allergy & Immunology – Our consultation service aids in the state-of-the-art diagnosis and clinical care of patients with respiratory diseases. We also provide consultations to establish or review treatment plans and to assess long-term care of patients.
Our Asthma Doctors
Steve Salzman, MD is Chief of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at NYU Winthrop Hospital. He is a Professor of Clinical Medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine as well as Stony Brook University School of Medicine. He is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care Medicine.
Peter Spiegler, MD is the Director of NYU Winthrop Hospital's Respiratory Care Program. He is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Critical Care Medicine and Sleep Medicine. He completed a residency in Medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York and a fellowship in Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine at NYU Winthrop. He has also published numerous articles on lung disease and is a popular speaker in medical and community settings.