Cardiac Rehabilitation Center
Cardiac Rehabilitation is more than just "physical therapy" for the heart. At NYU Winthrop Hospital it is a holistic philosophy of care that treats the whole person.
Developed for patients with a history of heart disease -- and those at risk -- cardiac rehabilitation aims to improve physical fitness and overall health. Our goal is to decrease our patients’ risk of experiencing an initial, or a repeat, cardiovascular event.
Most patients with cardiac problems will benefit from this medically directed cardiac rehab program. Through the program, patients with cardiac disease learn to improve their physical condition while also adjusting their lifestyle, cooking and eating habits, attitude and more, all for the purpose of reaching the optimal goal of cardiac rehabilitation.
Each aspect of the cardiac rehab program is personalized by our multidisciplinary team to meet each patient’s unique, individual needs.
NYU Winthrop's Cardiac Rehabilitation program includes:
- Patient assessment (because each program is designed to meet the needs of the individual)
- Ongoing patient education about the cardiovascular disease process
- Medically monitored exercise program
- Nutritional Counseling
- Support groups and individual/family counseling
- Smoking cessation
- Weight reduction programs
- Education about cardiac pharmaceuticals
- Vocational and social service counseling as needed
Cardiac rehabilitation, much like medication, is a treatment prescribed by your cardiologist. The customized rehabilitation program is designed to get you to a level of function which will enhance your lifestyle, allow to to make healthy choices, and enjoy life.