Child Life Services at NYU Winthrop Hospital
Child Life Services at NYU Winthrop Hospital provides a comprehensive range of support services for hospitalized children and their families. By providing a safe venue and a variety of tools for children to express their frustrations, fears and emotions, we help provide support during this difficult time.
Our techniques are focused on:
- Coping strategies
- Providing choices for children to enhance their sense of control
- Procedural support
- Distraction and guided imagery
- Non-pharmacological pain management
- Comfort items
- Positioning for comfort
Along with offering support for children who are hospitalized, Child Life Services also provides a variety of other programs including:
During the most difficult times, our child life specialists provide emotional support to the entire family unit.
Education for siblings who are expecting a new baby brother or sister. This class is offered two times per month and requires pre-registration through NYU Winthrop’s Welcome Center.
Offered through our out-patient hematology/oncology Cancer Center for Kids, these groups offered through Child Life Services help facilitate a sense of normalcy for patients and their families.
Child Life Services also provides many other fun and educational programs including:
- Magician visits
- Education services
- Horticultural therapy
- Art therapy
- Clown visits
- Special visits (professional athletes and more)
- Holiday visitors
- Local volunteer groups
- Astronomy programs
- Birthday celebrations
- Culturally diverse holiday celebrations
- Character visits
- Coffee clutches for parents
- Community fairs to educate local children on hospital safety and medical play
- In-services for all new employees and trainees
Areas Served by Child Life
- General Pediatric floor and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) – Monday-Friday, 8am-7pm, Saturday & Sunday 8am–4pm
- Cancer Center for Kids – Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Pediatric Specialty Center – Wednesday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Emergency Room – Monday 3pm-11pm, Tuesday & Wednesday 11am-11pm, Thursday & Friday 9am-11pm, Saturday 10am-6pm, what about Sunday?
- Child Life Services is also on call for: Endoscopy Suite, ASU, adult floors, NICU, Nuclear medicine, and Dialysis