CPR/Life Support Training
NYU Winthrop Hospital is proud to be a recognized as an American Heart Association Community Training Center and offers an extensive list of classes for the community, as well as health care professionals.
For Healthcare Providers
Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (New Provider and Renewal Courses)
- Designed to teach the skills of CPR for Adult, Child and Infant victims, use of an automated external defibrillator and relief of choking.
- Includes skills on: Adult, Child and Infant CPR, Foreign body airway obstruction, use of automated external defibrillation with CPR.
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) for Healthcare Professionals (New Provider and Renewal Course)
- Healthcare providers will enhance their skills in the treatment of the adult victim of a cardiac arrest or other cardiopulmonary emergencies.
- Emphasizes the importance of basic life support CPR to patient survival.
- Includes skills on: defibrillation, airway management, rhythm recognition, IV access, use of medications, cardioversion, transcultaneous pacing, 1-rescuer CPR, AED and effective resuscitation team dynamics.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) for Healthcare Professionals (New Provider and Renewal Course)
- Designed to aid the pediatric healthcare provider in developing the knowledge and skills necessary to efficiently and effectively manage critically ill infants and children, resulting in improved outcomes.
- Includes skills on: recognition and treatment of infants and children at risk for cardio-pulmonary arrest, the systematic approach to pediatric assessment, effective respiratory management, defibrillation and synchronized cardio version, intraosseous access to fluid bolus administration as well as effective resuscitation team dynamics.
For The Community
Family & Friends CPR
- This course offers the opportunity to learn basic CPR in a dynamic group environment. It is designed for those who prefer to learn in a group environment with feedback from an instructor.
- Includes skills on: Adult and Child CPR and choking skills.
Family & Friends CPR Anytime
- Self directed learning through personal Anytime Kit
- Designed for those who prefer self-paced learning and independent practice. DVD includes information on Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs), choking, child CPR and barrier devices.
- Personal learning kit provides for convenient knowledge and skills refresher.
Community Coaches CPR Course
- This is designed for community coaches and includes the American Heart Association’s Adult/Child Heartsaver AED program along with presentations by NYU Winthrop Hospital's medical professionals on asthma, concussions, cardiac and skeletal injuries in youth sports.
- The AHA course includes skills on: Adult/Child CPR, choking relief and how to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
- The participant’s skills will be tested throughout the course by an American Heart Association Instructor, once successfully completing the program the participant will receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver AED for Adults and Children course completion card.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association and any fees charged for such a course do not represent income to the Association.