da Vinci® Surgical System
A leader in robotic surgery, NYU Winthrop was the first hospital to offer patients on Long Island the da Vinci Surgical System. This state-of-the-art surgical robot integrates 3-D high definition (HD) endoscopy and advanced robotic technology to virtually extend the surgeon’s eyes and hands into the surgical field. Da Vinci consists of an ergonomically designed surgeon’s console, a patient-side cart with interactive robotic arms, the high-performance InSite® Vision System and proprietary EndoWrist® Instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human wrist. Powered by cutting edge robotic technology, the surgeon’s hand movements are scaled, filtered and seamlessly translated into precise movements.
What makes da Vinci better than traditional surgery?
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less blood loss
- Fewer transfusions
- Fewer complications
- Faster recovery
- Less need for narcotic pain medicine
- Smaller incisions for minimal scarring
Which surgeries can be performed with the da Vinci Surgical System?
Specialty procedures being performed:
- Gynecologic Oncology Surgery – can be the most effective, least invasive surgical option for complex gynecologic procedures.
- Hysterectomy – offers the number one minimally invasive surgical option for hysterectomy in the U.S.
- Sacrocolpopexy - to repair vaginal and uterine prolapse
- Gastric Bypass Surgery – offers a low rate of complications and low rates of wound infections compared to traditional approaches.
- Prostatectomy – used in 4 out of 5 radical prostatectomies in the U.S.
- Colon Resection – offers precise removal of cancerous tissue and a quick return of bowel function.
- General Abdominal Surgery – makes a few small incisions, as opposed to a large abdominal incision used in contemporary surgeries.