|Division Chief:||Irving H. Gomolin, MD|
|Number of Fellowship Positions||4|
|4th Year Medical Student Elective||Yes|
The Division provides care for the elderly at multiple teaching sites including nursing homes, assisted living facilities, homecare, office and hospital settings. The office practice also includes geriatric psychiatry, neuropsychology and social support services. Residents gain experiences to provide care for a wide range of elderly patient populations, including functionally independent community dwellers, frail nursing home residents and acutely ill hospitalized patients.
Research interests: Drug therapy in the elderly, clinical trials in the elderly, influenza vaccination antibody levels and chemoprophylaxis of influenza, urinary tract infection in the elderly, research ethics and geriatric ethics, assessment of capacity in the geriatric population, and palliative care.
Irving Gomolin, MD, CMD, FACP, AGSF, FCP, FRCPC Chief, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Chief, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Professor of Clinical Medicine, SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine.
- Research Interests: Drug Therapy in the Elderly, Pharmacokinetics.
- Selected Achievements: Member, Medical & Scientific Advisory Board, Alzheimer's Association, Long Island Chapter; Member, Board of Directors New York Medical Directors Association; Best Doctors: New York Magazine.
Lucy O. Macina, MD Fellowship Program Director, Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine.
- Research Interests: Dementia in the Elderly
- Selected Achievements: Outstanding Community Physicians Award, Hospice Care Network; Best Doctors: New York Magazine
Rachel A. Fermo, MD Sub-acute Rehabilitation Site Coordinator for Fellowship Training; Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine; Associate Medical Director for Winthrop Transitions of Care at Townhouse Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing.
- Research Interests: Transitional Care, Dietary Rehabilitation
- Selected Achievements: Director of the Stony Brook Medical Student Geriatric Medicine Selective, Safe Discharge Committee Member
Paula E. Lester, MD, FACP, CMD Associate Fellowship Program Director, Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine; Associate Medical Director for the Winthrop Transition Level of Care (TLC) Program at Sunharbor Manor, Roslyn Heights, NY.
- Research Interests: Advance Directives, Safety in Dementia, House-staff Education, Palliative care in the nursing home
- Selected Achievements: Board Member & Webmaster, Metropolitan American Geriatrics Society; Board Member & Webmaster, New York Medical Directors Association; Former Nassau County East Councilor, NYACP; Member Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee for The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine
Alka Nischal-Rednam, MD
- Research Interests: Studying the differences in outcomes of dementia treatment in the context of patients cultural & ethnically based needs and its impact on overall prognosis.
- Selected Achievements: Medical Student Site Coordinator for Geriatric Medicine Elective, Residency Program Evaluation Committee, Fragility Fracture Service, Morbidity & Mortality Committee Member, Physician Coordinator of Quality Assurance And Performance Improvement Program- Physician Quality Reporting System (QAPI/PQRS)
Sukhminder Sahansra, MD
- Research Interests: Attention disorders in patients with Alzheimer's Disease
- Selected Achievements: CME Director for Geriatric Division; Director of Quality Improvement, Division of Geriatric Medicine; Morbidity & Mortality Committee Member