NYU Winthrop Hospital’s Division of Gynecologic Oncology is committed to providing excellent patient care for women with suspected or existing cancers of the reproductive system. Our Long Island patients are cared for by specialists with expertise in gynecology and oncology.
Gynecologic Oncology Team
Our multidisciplinary team includes board certified gynecologic oncologists and surgeons, pathologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists and medical oncologists, as well as exceptionally compassionate and experienced physician assistants, nurses and other support staff.
Our team members collaborate to provide accurate diagnoses and highly individualized treatment plans for patients. We offer leading-edge radical and ultra-radical surgical procedures, standard and innovative methods of radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
Our expertise and access to appropriate resources results in aggressive, state-of-the-art care aimed at attaining the best possible clinical outcomes. Comprehensive care includes the availability of:
- Genetic and nutritional counseling
- Financial support services
- Social services
- Pastoral support
- Cancer support groups
- Palliative care
NYU Winthrop recently became the first satellite site of the Gilda Radner Familial Ovarian Cancer Registry, headquartered at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY.
The cornerstone of our research program is overseeing the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) studies. The GOG is a national, NCI-funded cooperative trials group which pursues research in gynecologic cancers, affording patients quick access to the newest chemotherapeutic agents.
Prominent Gynecologic Oncologists
Our physicians are recognized leaders in major national organizations. They contribute to improvements in patient care through presentations on clinical and translational research; service on committees; and active fundraising aimed at helping these organizations achieve their missions. They participate regionally and nationally in patient advocate activities and provide didactic and clinical training for medical students and residents in obstetrics and gynecology.
Gynecologic Oncology Conditions Treated
Our highly skilled gynecologic oncologists offer specialized care for cervical and ovarian cancers, as well as other gynecologic oncology conditions.
- Uterine cancer
- Ovarian and peritoneal cancers
- Cervical cancer
- Fallopian tube cancer
- Cancers of the vagina and vulva
- Pre-malignant conditions of the vulva, vagina, cervix and uterus
- Conditions requiring risk-reducing surgery
- Complex gynecologic conditions
Gynecologic Oncology Technology and Techniques
- Robotic-assisted surgery with the da Vinci Xi HD Robotic Surgical System
- Single puncture laparoscopic surgery (SILS)
- Other methods of minimally invasive gynecologic surgery
- Radical and ultra-radical surgical procedures
- CyberKnife stereotactic radiation therapy
- Intraperioneal chemotherapy
- NCI-sponsored clinical trials and innovative therapies