|Division Chief:||Burke A. Cunha, MD|
|Number of Fellowship Positions||3|
|4th Year Medical Student Elective||Yes|
Clinical Services & Research
NYU Winthrop Hospital's Infectious Disease program offers a first-rate training experience in clinical infectious diseases. Extensive one-on-one teaching/mentoring of infectious disease is a program strength. The teaching program emphasizes the full spectrum of infectious diseases including tropical medicine, nosocomial infections, infections in the compromised hosts, infections in transplant patients, and hospital epidemiology in hospitalized and ambulatory patients. The inpatient consultation service provides extensive clinical exposure/experience. Outpatient infectious disease training is centered in our Infectious Disease ambulatory office facility and features general infectious disease, HIV, Lyme Disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Travel Medicine experience. Clinical research opportunities compliment the clinical training experience. Pediatric infectious disease and ambulatory HIV rotations are available in addition to our own HIV inpatient/outpatient experience
- Fully accredited two-year Fellowship training program in Infectious Disease. Oldest Infectious Disease Fellowship training program on Long Island (since 1980).
- Varied in patient exposure to a wide variety of infectious disease, including opportunistic infections/surgical infections, transplant infections, infections in compromised hosts and nosocomial infections.
- Large inpatient hospital service for infectious disease consultation and teaching.
- Ambulatory Infectious Disease experience includes general clinical infectious diseases, Lyme's Disease, ambulatory FUO's, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Travel Medicine, and HIV infection.
- Recognized regionally for educational excellence in infectious disease for over 25 years.
- Varied clinical research programs.
- International reputation for clinical and teaching excellence infectious diseases