NYU Winthrop staff know that visits by family and friends can be most reassuring and comforting. Therefore, visitors are welcome at any time during the patient’s stay in the Hospital, Emergency Department or Ambulatory Surgery Centers. Visiting a patient after 8:00 PM may require the visitor to check-in at the Security Desk in the Hospital’s Main Lobby. Keep in mind, however, that patients need rest and quiet surroundings, and we ask that you observe the following when visiting our patients:
- Our patients have the right to decide if they wish to have visitors while at NYU Winthrop.
- Our patients have the right to designate who may visit them during their stay including but not limited to a spouse, a domestic partner, (including a same sex domestic partner), another family member, or a friend.
- Our patients have the right to designate a support individual who may stay with the patient during their hospitalization and who may determine who may visit if the patient becomes incapacitated. These individuals do not have to be legally related to the patient.
- Short visits are recommended to allow for patient rest and healing. For the safety and comfort of our patients please go to the main lobby security desk first.
- At certain times, in order to perform certain procedures, the Hospital may need to limit the number of visitors, or ask visitors to temporarily leave a patient’s room, to better care for our patients. Limits on visiting will be reasonable and based on the patient’s medical condition, and will be explained to the patient and visitor.
- To better care for our patients and to respect the privacy and needs of other patients, each patient may have no more than two visitors at any one time. Patient visitation in the Emergency Department is limited to one person at the bedside at a time. Special circumstances are always considered. Please speak with the nurse caring for the patient.
- The Hospital shall accommodate one parent/guardian to stay with a pediatric patient at the bedside, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week to support their child and integrate with the health care team.
- In order to minimize the risk of infection being introduced into the hospital, visitors who are ill with infectious conditions should not visit patients.
- For the safety and security of everyone in the hospital, visiting a patient after 8:00 PM may require the visitor to check-in at the Security Desk in the Hospital’s Main Lobby.
- Children may visit our patients. However, children under 14 years of age must be supervised by an adult other than the patient while at the hospital. Hospital staff is sensitive to the desire to have children visit patients and are available to discuss safety concerns.
- The hospital reserves the right to remove any disruptive visitor.