Steven Shelov, MD, MS
Director, Undergraduate Medical Education
Associate Dean, Winthrop Campus
Professor of Pediatrics
Stony Brook School of Medicine
- 1962-1966 B.S. Yale University, New Haven, CT
- 1967-1971 M.D. Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- 1972-1974 Residency Social Pediatrics, Montefiore Medical Center, NY
- 1974-1975 Chief Residency Pediatrics, Montefiore Medical Center, NY
- 1993-1995 M.S. Masters Degree in Administrative Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin. Certified by American College of Physician Executives
Current Academic Appointments
- Professor of Pediatrics Stony Brook School of Medicine
- Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics at NYU
- 1987-1997 Associate Vice Chairman, Department of Pediatrics, AECOM/MMC, NY
- 1997-2010 Chairman, Department of Pediatrics - Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- 1997-2010 Chairman, Department of Pediatrics, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York
- 2011- 2012 Interim Chairman, Department of Pediatrics - Cohen Children’s Medical Center
- 2012 - present Associate Dean, Winthrop University Hospital Clinical Campus for Stony Brook School of Medicine
Academic & Professional Honors
- 1971 Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- 1996 The George M. Armstrong award- Selected by the Ambulatory Pediatric Association as the 1996 recipient of this award. This award is presented annually by the APA as its highest award of achievement in the field of child health.
- 2002 Lifetime Education Achievement Award, Pediatric Education, American Academy of Pediatrics, Boston, Mass.
- 2004 Holroyd Sherry Award for Outstanding Contributions in the field of Children, Adolescents and the Media, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 2008 Lillian Wald Award, Visiting Nurse Service of New York - November 19, 2008 for Outstanding Contributions to Children and Families in New York
- 2009 The Clifford Grulee Award-American Academy of Pediatrics- Highest commendation for contributions to the AAP and to Families and Children.
- 2015 Outstanding Educator Stony Brook Medical Student Education
1. Shelov, S.P., Mezey, A.P., Edelmann, C.M., Barnett, H. (eds.): Primary Care Pediatrics: A Symptomatic Approach. Appleton, Century, Crofts, November, 1984.
2. Ulene, A., Shelov, S.P.: Bringing Out the Best in Your Baby, McMillian Publishers, Inc., New York, 1987 (Hard cover edition).
3. Shelov, S.P. and Greensher, J.: Baby Alive. Action Films and Video Ltd., Port Washington, NY. Companion book to video tape of the same name. The official child safety tape of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Published March, 1988.
4. Ulene, A., Shelov, S.P.: Bringing Out the Best in Your Baby. May, 1988, Collier Books, Inc. (Paperback edition).
5. Shelov, S.P. (Editor in Chief): American Academy of Pediatrics: Caring for Your Baby and Young Child-Birth to Age 5 Bantam Publishers, Inc., April, 1991.
6. Shelov, S.P. and Kelly, J. Raising Your Type A Child. Simon and Shuster Pocket Books, September, 1991.
7. Shelov, S.P. and Kelly, J. Raising Your Type A Child Paperback edition. Simon and Shuster Pocket Books, October, 1992.
8. Shelov, S.P. (Editor in Chief) American Academy of Pediatrics: Caring for Your Baby and Young Child- Birth -Age Bantam Publishers, Inc. April 1993. (Revised, paper back edition).
9. Shelov, S.P. and Ulene, A.L., Discovery Play, Revised and expanded version of #4, Ulysses Press, 1994.
10. Bernstein, D. and Shelov, S.P. PEDIATRICS for Medical Students Williams and Wilkins Publishers, March, 1996.
11. Shelov, S.P., and Schiff, Donald, A Guide to your Child’s Symptoms, an official publication of the American Academy of Pediatrics, October, 1997.
12. Shelov, S.P. Editor in Chief, Your Baby’s First Year an official publication of the American Academy of Pediatrics May, 1998.
13. Shelov, S.P. and Warhol, J. New Perspectives in Emotional Development of Infants, December, 1998. Moderated symposium and edited proceedings.
14. Parent School, Biederman, Jerry and Lorin, Shelov, S.P. Contributor: Engage and Participate in Your Child’s Health Care, March, 2002.
15. Bernstein, D. and Shelov, S.P. Editors- Pediatrics For Medical Students- January, 2003, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins.
16. New edition of Child Care Book “Caring for Your Baby and Young Child Birth - Five” Fourth Edition - June, 2004
17. Your Baby’s First Year, Bantam, Second Edition - July, 2001
18. Above two books - Translation into Hebrew, Spanish (Mexican and Spanish Version), Greek, Oxford English and Chinese
19. Your Baby’s First Year - Third Edition - June, 2005
20. Caring for Your Baby and Young Child- 5th Edition- September, 2009.
21. Your Baby’s First Year-third edition- June, 2010
22. Pediatrics for Medical Students-third edition – published June 2011, WoltersKluwer, in collaboration with American Academy of Pediatrics